San Mateo High School
Friday, November 21, 2014
QUIZ KIDS MEETING – TODAY – lunch – room A160
PING PONG CLUB MEETING – TODAY – lunch – Room B201
JSA MEETING – MONDAY – lunch – Room A220
RENAISSANCE PERK RALLY
Hey Bearcats! Make sure to join us for the “Bearcatsgiving” Perk Rally in the Quad TODAY and don’t forget your perk cards!
— Ms. Catalli
ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS
Please check your attendance on Schoolloop. IF there are errors, you need to come to the Attendance Office and pick up a green “correction form”. Changes must be made within three days of the attendance call or error. Changes to attendance cannot be made after three days or once the month has closed.
— Mrs. Menendez
HAVE YOU LOST ANYTHING?
Please check the Lost & Found bin located in the Student Services Office. Any unclaimed items will be donated during Thanksgiving Break.
— Mrs. Cervantes
Attention seniors & juniors! Middle College is still accepting spring 2015 applications on a case-by-case basis. Middle College is a high school program at the College of San Mateo. Contact your SMHS guidance counselor for more information or view the Middle College website.
— Mr. Quigley
JENNIFER NATHAN TRAVEL SCHOLARSHIP
Attention current sophomores and juniors! Would you like to travel and see the world this summer for free? The San Mateo High School Foundation is presenting the Jennifer Nathan Travel Scholarship which will cover international travel expenses for one SMHS sophomore or junior and their family or friends. The deadline for applying is November 30th. Go to www.smhsf.org and click on the “Jen Nathan Travel Scholarship” link for more information and the application. This is your chance to see the world!
— SMHS Foundation
TODAY’S FEATURED SCHOLARSHIP
- PG&E Women’s Network Employee Resource Group: supporting seniors who are pursuing degrees or careers in fields where PG&E has an interest (such as engineering, information technology, business, environmental and other energy related areas);minimum 3.0 GPA
For more information on either of these two scholarships, see Ms. Paige in the Career Center.
NEXT WEEK’S SCHEDULE
- Monday, Nov. 24th and Tuesday, Nov. 25th: Both are 1-7 days
- Wednesday, Nov. 26th: Staff Recess Day – no school
- Thursday, Nov. 27th, Friday, Nov. 28th: Thanksgiving holidays – no school
CHEATING/PLAGIARISM/BEARCAT HONOR CODE/ACADEMIC HONESTY
--Bp 5131.9 Students/Academic Honesty
We believe that academic honesty and personal integrity are fundamental components of a student’s education and character development. We expect that students will not cheat, lie, plagiarize or commit other acts of academic dishonesty. When people cheat they undermine this goal, compromising themselves and the school. We hope that this honor code clarifies what behavior is acceptable and sends a clear message: grades are meant to be a reflection of what students have learned.
--What exactly is cheating?
Cheating is taking (or lending) at inappropriate times a person’s work, information, ideas or research without properly identifying the originator. If the student is unsure about a specific situation, the student should ask the teacher for clarification BEFORE the action. The teacher will gladly explain what is allowable. The student can also ask himself/herself, “Would I do this if my teacher were standing next to me?”
- 1st Offense: Online referral to Dean. Two hour detention. Grade of zero or F. Parent notification.
- 2nd Offense: Online referral. Teacher must turn in all evidence to Dean. Dean informs Administration. Dean assigns 6 hours of Community Service. Grade of zero or F on assignment. Parent conference. SMHS Student Contract and referral to SSA.
- 3rd Offense: Online referral. Staff communicates with Dean and Administration. Teacher must turn in all evidence to Dean. Parent conference. Loss of CSF eligibility. Drop F from the course for the semester and 2-5 day suspension.
In each case the teacher’s professional judgment will determine whether cheating has occurred. Students are reminded not to give the instructor reason to suspect that cheating has taken place.